Saturday, July 29, 2017

My office is too cold

It's 100 degrees in North Texas this week, but it's only about 72 degrees in my office. Our whole floor is always cold. Getting dressed every morning is a pain in the ass. I have to find something I won't be sweltering in as I'm walking in from the parking lot, but warm enough to keep me from turning on my space heater during the day in the office. Seasonally-appropriate is always a challenge, too, and then there's the matter of whether I have any big meetings for which I might want to cover my tattoos.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I would just wear the first thing I put on, as long as it was clean and it matched. I figured I'm really the only person who cares that much about what I wear. As long as I'm meeting a minimum standard of presentability, nobody really notices. I made a rule that if, after I get dressed, I want to change, it better be because something is stretched out, too worn, has holes, or doesn't fit, and therefore I can't keep that item of clothing anymore. It was a good choice. My closet is getting pared down to just the stuff I actually wear, and I've decided I have enough clothes that I really don't need to buy anything unless I need to replace a staple (like a black, short-sleeved shirt).

I love the weekends, because I get to hang around in shorts and tank tops, and I don't have to wear shoes. Really, I don't think I've ever stopped living like a college student at home, even to the point that the husband made fun of me last week when I said I really needed to do laundry this weekend because I'm out of clean underwear. I love that we can laugh at each other. He makes me feel so accepted.

I guess that's the whole point of this musing -- needing to feel accepted the way I am, and the frustration that you can't just go to work in pajamas. I know, right? Who says I ever have to grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring angst

Spring is usually my favorite time of year here, barring allergies. This spring has been cold and miserable, though, and I've been stres...